Tuesday, April 20, 2010

4/20 jams




As long as I've known about the meaning of the day, I've never been able to pinpoint the origin. I mean I learned this was Hitler's birthday when the Columbine Shooting went down. Both occurring on April 20th. It also happens to be my boy Jon's birthday. Happy Birthday dude (that's for Jon, not Hitler). But how did 4/20 get to be the international holiday for potheads? The most reliable theory (only because Wikipedia supports it) is that, back in the 70s, kids at San Rafael High School would meet at 4:20pm after school to smoke pot. April 20th is the day a lot of growers start their summer crop cycle.

Regardless of the origin, one can hardly deny marijuana's influence (as well as many other substances) on many musicians and music in general.

I don't smoke anymore, but here are some jams that are only about ganja and getting irie. Enjoy.


"...they had just got a sack weighing 3.5/ it was 4:19/ just about that time." I like this song because it reminds me of all the hazy/lazy dayz I spent up in IV. Animal Liberation Orchestra (ALO) is a great band out of Santa Barbara check them out.




Peter Tosh. RIP my dude.




I could have probably put any of Devin's tracks on here, but this one is just too ridiculous not too post.




Oh man with that soundbite I wish I could post the whole Towelie episode. "Noooo you're a towel!" Mystics Roots, long before they were Pato Banton's touring band.




Bone Thugs and their counterparts all have sooo many songs about dank, but these two by Krayzie take the cake.






Ratatat doin work on Kanye.



Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment